The definition of competency is your level of skill or knowledge in some subject or field.
An example of competency is when you are very proficient in typing.
- A skill or ability.
- 1915, W.S. Maugham, "Of Human Bondage", chapter 116:
- He had heard people speak contemptuously of money: he wondered if they had ever tried to do without it. He knew that the lack made a man petty, mean, grasping; it distorted his character and caused him to view the world from a vulgar angle; when you had to consider every penny, money became of grotesque importance: you needed a competency to rate it at its proper value.
- The ability to perform some task; competence.
- (law) Meeting specified qualifications to perform.
- (linguistics) implicit knowledge of a language's structure.
From French compÃ©tence.