The definition of ingenious is clever and inventive, or someone who is smart, clever or original.adjective
A brand new idea for a much-needed product is an example of aningenious idea.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- Obsolete having genius; having great mental ability
- clever, resourceful, original, and inventive
- made or done in a clever or original way
Origin: LME < MFr ingenieux < L ingeniosus, of good capacity, gifted with genius, ingenious < ingenium, innate quality, ability < in-, in + gignere: see genus
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Marked by inventive skill and imagination.
- Having or arising from an inventive or cunning mind; clever: an ingenious scheme. See Synonyms at clever.
- Obsolete Having genius; brilliant.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French ingenios, from Latin ingeniōsus, from ingenium, inborn talent; see genə- in Indo-European roots.
- in·genˈious·ly adverb
- in·genˈious·ness noun