- The definition of ingenious is clever and inventive, or someone who is smart, clever or original.
A brand new idea for a much-needed product is an example of aningenious idea.
ingenious definition by Webster's New World
- Obsolete having genius; having great mental ability
- clever, resourceful, original, and inventive
- made or done in a clever or original way
Origin: Late Middle English ; from Middle French ingenieux ; from Classical Latin ingeniosus, of good capacity, gifted with genius, ingenious ; from ingenium, innate quality, ability ; from in-, in plush gignere: see genus
ingenious definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Marked by inventive skill and imagination.
- Having or arising from an inventive or cunning mind; clever: an ingenious scheme. See Synonyms at clever.
- Obsolete Having genius; brilliant.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French ingenios, from Latin ingeniōsus, from ingenium, inborn talent; see genə- in Indo-European roots.
- in·genˈious·ly adverb
- in·genˈious·ness noun