The definition of witty is someone or something that is funny and clever.
An example of witty is a comedian who always has a great comeback.
- having, showing, or characterized by wit; cleverly amusing
- Now Dial. intelligent; clever
Origin of wittyMiddle English witti from Old English wittig from wit, knowledge: see wit
- Demonstrating wit in expression, especially in speech or writing; clever and humorous: a witty commentator on the political scene.
- Characterized by or having the nature of wit; funny or jocular: a witty saying.
- Entertainingly and strikingly clever or original in concept, design, or performance: a witty sculpture; witty choreography.
(comparative wittier, superlative wittiest)
- (archaic) Possessing a strong intellect or intellectual capacity; intelligent, skilful, ingenious.
- Clever; amusingly ingenious.
- His speech was both witty and informative.
- Full of wit.
- His frequent quips mark him as particularly witty.
- quick of mind; insightful; in possession of wits
- She may have grown older, but she has grown no less witty.
Old English wittiÄ¡ (“clever, wise"), corresponding to wit +"Ž -y.