- of, tasting of, or containing salt
- smelling of or suggesting the sea
- sharp; piquant; witty
- coarse or earthy
- cross or caustic
Informal an oceangoing ship that operates on the Great Lakes
- Of, containing, or seasoned with salt.
- Suggestive of the sea or sailing life.
- Witty; pungent; earthy: salty humor.
(comparative saltier, superlative saltiest)
- Tasting of salt.
- Containing salt.
- (figuratively) Coarse, provocative, earthy; said of language.
- (figuratively) Experienced, especially used to indicate a veteran of the naval services; salty dog (from salt of the sea).
- (US slang) Irritated, annoyed; from sharp, spicy flavor of salt.
- (linguistics) Pertaining to those dialects of Catalan, spoken in the Balearic Islands and along the coast of Catalonia, that use definitive articles descended from the Latin ipse (“self") instead of the Latin ille (“that").
From salt +"Ž -y.