- Saline means containing salt or salt characteristics.
An example of something saline is a cup of water with salt added; a saline solution.
- The definition of a saline is a salt source.
An example of a saline is a salt lick used by horses and cows.
- of, characteristic of, or containing common salt, or sodium chloride
- of or containing any of the salts of the alkali metals or magnesium
Origin of salineLate Middle English salyne ; from Classical Latin salinus ; from sal, salt
- a salt spring, lick, mine, etc.
- a salt of magnesium or of an alkali metal, often used as a cathartic
- a saline solution, esp. one that is isotonic, used in medical treatment or biological experiments
- Of, relating to, or containing salt; salty.
- Of or relating to chemical salts.
- A salt of magnesium or of the alkalis, used in medicine as a cathartic.
- A saline solution, especially one that is isotonic with blood and is used in medicine and surgery.
Origin of salineLatin salīnus, from sāl, salt; see sal- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more saline, superlative most saline)
- aliens, A-lines, alines, Selina, silane, slaine