- Drinking a lot of alcohol
- Eating very salty and fatty foods
- Experiencing a lot of stress
- People who are obese
- People over 60 years old
Hypertension is defined as abnormally high blood pressure, the force at which blood is pumped into the heart when it comes from the arteries.
High Risk Factors for Hypertension
An example of hypertension is a heart that has to work extra hard to properly circulate blood through the body, increasing the size of the heart muscle and causing the heart chambers to get bigger, and either too weak or too stiff to pump blood properly.
- any abnormally high tension
- abnormally high blood pressure, or a disease of which this is the chief sign
- a. Abnormally elevated arterial blood pressure.b. Arterial disease marked by chronic high blood pressure.
- Elevated pressure or tension of a body fluid, as of the intraocular or cerebrospinal fluids.
- (pathology) The disease or disorder of abnormally high blood pressure.
hyper- + tension