The definition of piquant is something that stimulates curiosity or the taste buds, usually in an engaging or pleasant way.adjective
- An exciting debate that gets you thinking is an example of something that might be described as piquant.
- A tasty, spicy morsel prepared by a chef is an example of something that might be described as piquant.
- agreeably pungent or stimulating to the taste; pleasantly sharp or biting
- exciting agreeable interest or curiosity; stimulating; provocative
- Archaic piercing or stinging; bitter
Origin: Fr, prp. of piquer, to prick, sting: see pike
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Pleasantly pungent or tart in taste; spicy.
- a. Appealingly provocative: a piquant wit.b. Charming, interesting, or attractive: a piquant face.
- Archaic Causing hurt feelings; stinging.
Origin: French, from Old French, present participle of piquer, to prick; see pique .
- piˈquan·cy, piˈquant·ness noun
- piˈquant·ly adverb