- The definition of piquant is something that stimulates curiosity or the taste buds, usually in an engaging or pleasant way.
- An exciting debate that gets you thinking is an example of something that might be described as piquant.
- A tasty, spicy morsel prepared by a chef is an example of something that might be described as piquant.
- agreeably pungent or stimulating to the taste; pleasantly sharp or biting
- exciting agreeable interest or curiosity; stimulating; provocative
- Archaic piercing or stinging; bitter
Origin of piquantFrench present participle of piquer, to prick, sting: see pike
- Pleasantly pungent or tart in taste; spicy.
- Appealingly provocative; charming: a piquant wit; a piquant face.
- Causing hurt feelings; stinging: “people with equally piquant opinions about obesity, appearance and American doublespeak about weight” (Virginia Heffernan).
Origin of piquantFrench, from Old French, present participle of piquer, to prick; see pique .
- pi′quan·cy, pi′quant·ness
(comparative more piquant, superlative most piquant)