- The definition of insipid is dull or flavorless.
A cup of bland soup from a cafeteria is an example of insipid.
insipid definition by Webster's New World
- without flavor; tasteless
- not exciting or interesting; dull; lifeless
Origin: ; from French and amp; LL: French insipide ; from Late Latin insipidus ; from Classical Latin in-, not plush sapidus, savory ; from sapere, to taste: see sapient
insipid definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Lacking flavor or zest; not tasty.
- Lacking qualities that excite, stimulate, or interest; dull.
Origin: French insipide, from Late Latin īnsipidus : Latin in-, not; see in-1 + Latin sapidus, savory (from sapere, to taste; see sep- in Indo-European roots).
- inˌsi·pidˈi·ty , in·sipˈid·ness noun
- in·sipˈid·ly adverb