exciting[ek sīt′iŋ, ik-]
- The definition of exciting is someone or something that produces intense, thrilling feelings or emotions.
An example of exciting used as an adjective is an exciting movie, a suspenseful movie.
causing excitement or agitation; stirring, thrilling, etc.
Creating or producing excitement: an exciting adventure story.
- Present participle of excite.
Variant of excite
transitive verbexcited, exciting
- to put into motion or activity; stir up: tapping on the hive excited the bees
- to call forth; arouse; provoke: the rumors excited her curiosity
- to arouse the feelings or passions of: the news excited us
- to supply electric current to (the field winding of a motor, generator, or other device); also, to produce in this way a magnetic field in
- to supply a signal to (any stage of a vacuum-tube or transistor circuit)
- Physics to raise (a nucleus, atom, etc.) to a higher energy state
- Physiol. to produce or increase the response of (an organism, organ, tissue, etc.) to a proper stimulus
Origin of exciteMiddle English exciten ; from Old French exciter ; from Classical Latin excitare, to call forth, excite, frequentative of exciere, to call forth ; from ex-, out + past participle of ciere, to call, summon: see cite