- A strong wine that is likely to get you drunk is an example of something that would be described as heady.
- A strong and beautiful scent that exhilarates you is an example of something that would be described as heady.
- Now Rare impetuous; rash; willful
- tending to affect the senses; intoxicating: heady wine
- thrilling; exhilarating: the heady days of one's youth
- having, showing, or using intelligence or good judgment
Origin of headyMiddle English hevedi: see head and amp; -y
- a. Intoxicating or stupefying: heady liqueur.b. Tending to upset the mind or the balance of senses: standing on a heady outcrop of rock.c. Serving to exhilarate: the heady news of triumph.
- a. Impetuous and rash: a heady outburst of anger.b. Domineering; overbearing: too heady to reason with.
- Swift and violent; headlong: a heady current.
- Showing intelligence and good judgment; prudent: heady tactics.
- Suffering from a headache: a heady, throbbing feeling.
(comparative headier, superlative headiest)
From Middle English hedi, hevedi, equivalent to head + -y.