- A strong wine that is likely to get you drunk is an example of something that would be described as heady.
- A strong and beautiful scent that exhilarates you is an example of something that would be described as heady.
The definition of heady is something that has an intoxicating or exhilarating effect.
- Now Rare impetuous; rash; willful
- tending to affect the senses; intoxicating: heady wine
- thrilling; exhilarating: the heady days of one's youth
- having, showing, or using intelligence or good judgment
Origin of headyMiddle English hevedi: see head and -y
- a. Intoxicating or stupefying: heady liqueur.b. Tending to upset the mind or the balance of senses: standing on a heady outcrop of rock.c. Serving to exhilarate: the heady news of triumph.
- a. Impetuous and rash: a heady outburst of anger.b. Domineering; overbearing: too heady to reason with.
- Swift and violent; headlong: a heady current.
- Showing intelligence and good judgment; prudent: heady tactics.
- Suffering from a headache: a heady, throbbing feeling.
(comparative headier, superlative headiest)
From Middle English hedi, hevedi, equivalent to head + -y.