- The definition of impetuous is something that moves with a lot of force or done with little thought.
- An example of impetuous is a bulldozer.
- An example of impetuous is a person jumping onto a moving train.
- moving with great force or violence; having great impetus; rushing; furious: impetuous winds
- acting or done suddenly with little thought; rash; impulsive
Origin: Middle English impetuouse from Old French impetueuse from Classical Latin impetuosus from impetus: see impetus
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Characterized by sudden and forceful energy or emotion; impulsive and passionate.
- Having or marked by violent force: impetuous, heaving waves.
Origin: Middle English, violent, from Old French impetueux, from Late Latin impetuōsus, from Latin impetus, impetus; see impetus.
- im·petˈu·ous·ly adverb
- im·petˈu·ous·ness noun