- An example of impetuous is a bulldozer.
- An example of impetuous is a person jumping onto a moving train.
The definition of impetuous is something that moves with a lot of force or done with little thought.
- Now Rare moving with great force or violence; having great impetus; rushing; furious: impetuous winds
- acting or done suddenly with little thought; rash; impulsive
Origin of impetuousMiddle English impetuouse from Old French impetueuse from Classical Latin impetuosus from impetus: see impetus
- Acting or done quickly with little or inadequate thought.
- Having or marked by violent force: impetuous, heaving waves.
Origin of impetuousMiddle English violent from Old French impetueux from Late Latin impetuōsus from Latin impetus impetus ; see impetus .
(comparative more impetuous, superlative most impetuous)
- Making arbitrary decisions, especially in an impulsive and forceful manner.
- Characterized by sudden and violent force.