- The definition of impulsive is to act or speak forcefully or quickly without planning.
Someone quitting their job when they are upset is an example of an action that is impulsive.
- impelling; driving forward
- acting or likely to act on impulse: an impulsive person
- produced by or resulting from a sudden impulse: an impulsive remark
- Mech. acting briefly and as a result of impulse
Origin of impulsive; from Middle French or ML: Middle French impulsif ; from Medieval Latin impulsivus ; from Classical Latin impulsus, impulse
- Inclined to act on impulse rather than thought.
- Motivated by or resulting from impulse: such impulsive acts as hugging strangers; impulsive generosity.
- Having force or power to impel or incite; forceful.
- Physics Acting within brief time intervals. Used especially of a force.
- im·pul′sive·ness, im′pul·siv′i·ty
(comparative more impulsive, superlative most impulsive)
From Middle French impulsif, from Latin impulsivus