- The definition of instinctive is something ingrained or something you just know, rather than something you have to be taught.
A mother's love for her baby is an example of something that would be described as instinctive.
instinctive definition by Webster's New World
- of, or having the nature of, instinct
- prompted or done by instinct
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- instinctively adverb
instinctive definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, relating to, or prompted by instinct.
- Arising from impulse; spontaneous and unthinking: an instinctive mistrust of bureaucrats.
- in·stincˈtive·ly adverb