- The definition of instinctive is something ingrained or something you just know, rather than something you have to be taught.
A mother's love for her baby is an example of something that would be described as instinctive.
- of, or having the nature of, instinct
- prompted or done by instinct
- Of, relating to, or prompted by instinct: an instinctive ability to build a nest.
- a. Arising from impulse or natural inclination; done without thought or conscious effort; spontaneous: an instinctive sympathy for the downtrodden.b. Being such by natural inclination rather than conscious effort or study: “Both men were instinctive masters at seizing unexpected openings and turning them into victories” (Nick Kotz).