An example of something involuntary is blinking; an involuntary action.
- not done of one's own free will; not done by choice
- unintentional; accidental
- not consciously controlled; automatic: sneezing is involuntary
Origin of involuntaryLate Latin involuntarius
- Acting or done without or against one's will: an involuntary participant in what turned out to be an argument.
- Not subject to control of the volition: gave an involuntary start.
(comparative more involuntary, superlative most involuntary)
From in- + voluntary, from Late Latin involontarius, from in + volontarius.
involuntary - Legal Definition