A woman assists an unconscious man.
- When you make a gesture automatically without thinking about it, this is an example of an unconscious gesture.
- When you are hit on the head and you pass out, this is an example of a time when you are unconscious.
The definition of unconscious is lacking awareness or done without realizing, or it is knocked-out, sleeping or comatose.
- not endowed with consciousness; mindless
- temporarily deprived of consciousness: unconscious from a blow on the head
- not aware (of): unconscious of his mistake
- not known, realized, or intended; not done, said, etc. on purpose: an unconscious habit, unconscious humor
- not aware of one's own existence; not conscious of self
- having to do with those of one's mental processes that one is unable to bring into one's consciousness
Psychoanalysis the sum of all thoughts, memories, impulses, desires, feelings, etc. of which the individual is not conscious but which influence the emotions and behavior; that part of one's psyche which comprises repressed material of this nature
- Lacking awareness and the capacity for sensory perception; not conscious.
- Temporarily lacking consciousness.
- Occurring in the absence of conscious awareness or thought: unconscious resentment; unconscious fears.
- Without conscious control; involuntary or unintended: an unconscious mannerism.
The division of the mind in psychoanalytic theory containing elements of psychic makeup, such as memories or repressed desires, that are not subject to conscious perception or control but that often affect conscious thoughts and behavior.
(comparative more unconscious, superlative most unconscious)
- (psychology) The unconscious mind