decided[dē sīd′id, di-]
- The definition of decided is something that is definite and determined.
- An example of something decided is a win by a team that can't be debated.
- An example of something decided is a parent's decision about whether or not they'll go all out on a family vacation.
- Decided is defined as the past tense of decide, meaning made a decision.
An example of decided is what happened when a jury gave a result in the trial.
- definite and unmistakable; clear-cut: a decided change
- unhesitating; determined
- Without doubt or question; definite: a decided success.
- Free from hesitation or vacillation; resolute.
- Simple past tense and past participle of decide.
Variant of decide
transitive verbdecided, deciding
- to end (a contest, dispute, etc.) by giving one side the victory or by passing judgment
- to make up one's mind, or reach a decision, about; determine: to decide what to do
- to cause to reach a decision
Origin of decideMiddle English deciden ; from Classical Latin decidere, to cut off, decide ; from de-, off, from + caedere, to cut: see -cide
to arrive at a judgment, choice, or decision