decide[dē sīd′, di-]
- An example of to decide is for a jury to choose if a person is guilty or not guilty.
- An example of to decide is to choose between pistachio and cookie dough ice cream.
To decide is defined as to conclude, settle or make a choice.
transitive verbdecided, deciding
- to end (a contest, dispute, etc.) by giving one side the victory or by passing judgment
- to make up one's mind, or reach a decision, about; determine: to decide what to do
- to cause to reach a decision
Origin of decideMiddle English deciden ; from Classical Latin decidere, to cut off, decide ; from de-, off, from + caedere, to cut: see -cide
to arrive at a judgment, choice, or decision
verbde·cid·ed, de·cid·ing, de·cides
- a. To reach a conclusion or form a judgment or opinion about (something) by reasoning or consideration: decide what to do.b. To cause to make or reach a decision: “The presence of so many witnesses decided him at once to flee” (Robert Louis Stevenson).
- To settle conclusively all contention or uncertainty about: decide a case; decided the dispute in favor of the workers.
- To influence or determine the outcome of: A few votes decided the election.
- To pronounce a judgment; announce a verdict.
- To reach a decision; make up one's mind.
Origin of decideMiddle English deciden, from Old French decider, from Latin dēcīdere, to cut off, decide : dē-, de- + caedere, to cut; see ka&schwa;-id- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present decides, present participle deciding, simple past and past participle decided)
- To resolve (a contest, problem, dispute, etc.); to choose, determine, or settle.
- The election will be decided on foreign policies.
- We must decide our next move.
- Her last-minute goal decided the game.
- (intransitive) To make a judgment, especially after deliberation.
- You must decide between good and evil.
- I have decided that it is healthier to walk to work.
- To cause someone to come to a decision.
- This is a catenative verb that takes the to infinitive.
OriginSee also: décide