- An example of indefinite is when you do not know how long a meeting will last.
- An example of indefinite is when you are not certain if you are going to attend a given event or not.
The definition of indefinite is something that has no exact limits, is vague or that is not clearly defined.
not definite; specif.,
- having no exact limits or having no limits at all
- not precise or clear in meaning; vague
- not sharp or clear in outline; blurred; indistinct
- not sure or positive; uncertain
- Bot. of no fixed number, or too many to count: said of the stamens, etc. of certain flowers
- Gram. not limiting or specifying; not referring to a specific or previously identified person, thing, etc.: “a” and “an” are indefinite articles; “any” is an indefinite pronoun
Origin of indefiniteClassical Latin indefinitus
Not definite, especially:
a. Unclear; vague.
b. Lacking precise limits: an indefinite leave of absence.
c. Uncertain; undecided: indefinite about their plans.
(comparative more indefinite, superlative most indefinite)