- The definition of heterogeneous is having diverse ingredients or parts.
An example of heterogeneous is a classroom made up of students from all different backgrounds.
heterogeneous definition by Webster's New World
- differing or opposite in structure, quality, etc.; dissimilar; incongruous; foreign
- composed of unrelated or unlike elements or parts; varied; miscellaneous
Origin: Midieval Latin heterogeneus ; from Classical Greek heterogenēs ; from hetero-, other, hetero- plush genos, a race, kind: see genus
heterogeneous definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- also het·er·og·e·nous Consisting of dissimilar elements or parts; not homogeneous. See Synonyms at miscellaneous.
- Completely different; incongruous.
Origin: From Medieval Latin heterogeneus, from Greek heterogenēs : hetero-, hetero- + genos, kind, race; see genə- in Indo-European roots.
- hetˌer·o·geˈne·ous·ly adverb
- hetˌer·o·geˈne·ous·ness noun
heterogeneous - Computer Definition
heterogeneous - Medical Definition