- The definition of miscellaneous is people or things that are varied or mixed and cannot easily be categorized or grouped.
An example of miscellaneous is a gathering of a bunch of people who have little in common and who can't be easily grouped into different groups.
- consisting or formed of various kinds; varied; mixed: a box of miscellaneous candies
- having various qualities, abilities, etc.; many-sided
Origin: L miscellaneus from miscellus, mixed from miscere, mix
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Made up of a variety of parts or ingredients.
- Having a variety of characteristics, abilities, or appearances.
- Concerned with diverse subjects or aspects.
Origin: From Latin miscellāneus, from miscellus, mixed, from miscēre, to mix; see meik- in Indo-European roots.
- misˌcel·laˈne·ous·ly adverb
- misˌcel·laˈne·ous·ness noun