miscellaneous[mis′ə lā′nē əs]
- The definition of miscellaneous is people or things that are varied or mixed and cannot easily be categorized or grouped.
An example of miscellaneous is a gathering of a bunch of people who have little in common and who can't be easily grouped into different groups.
- consisting or formed of various kinds; varied; mixed: a box of miscellaneous candies
- having various qualities, abilities, etc.; many-sided
Origin of miscellaneousClassical Latin miscellaneus ; from miscellus, mixed ; from miscere, mix
- Consisting of various kinds; varied: a shelf containing miscellaneous objects.
- Having a variety of characteristics or aspects: a website providing miscellaneous information.
Origin of miscellaneousFrom Latin miscellāneus, from miscellus, mixed, from miscēre, to mix; see meik- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more miscellaneous, superlative most miscellaneous)
From Latin miscellāneus, from miscellus (“mixed”), from misceō (“mix”).