- The definition of different is something that isn't the same, something that is out of the ordinary or something that is separate.
- An example of different is the color black compared to the color white.
- An example of different is a new movie that uses film techniques never used before.
- An example of different is someone from a family that isn't yours.
One pair of shoes is very different from the others.
different definition by Webster's New World
- not alike; dissimilar: with from, or, esp. informally, than, and, in Brit. usage, to
- not the same; distinct; separate; other
- unlike most others; unusual
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin differens: see difference
different definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Unlike in form, quality, amount, or nature; dissimilar: took different approaches to the problem.
- Distinct or separate: That's a different issue altogether.
- Various or assorted: interviewed different members of the community.
- Differing from all others; unusual: a different point of view.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin differēns, different-, present participle of differre, to differ; see differ.
- difˈfer·ent·ly adverb
- difˈfer·ent·ness noun