- Present participle of difference.
Variant of difference
- condition, quality, fact, or instance of being different
- the way in which people or things are different; esp., a determining point or factor that makes for a distinct change or contrast
- the state of holding a differing opinion; disagreement
- the point at issue; point of disagreement
- a dispute; quarrel
- a discrimination or distinction in preference
- a significant effect on or change in a situation
- Math. the amount by which one quantity differs from another; remainder left after subtraction
Origin of differenceMiddle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin differentia ; from differens, present participle of differre: see differ
(it's the) same difference
Slang there is no difference
make a difference
- to have an effect; matter
- to change the outlook or situation
make no difference
to have no effect; not matter
split the difference
- to share the remainder equally
- to make a compromise
what's the difference?
Informal what does it matter?