- The definition of similar is two things that have characteristics that resemble each other but are not exactly alike.
An example of similar is a cream skirt and a white skirt.
- nearly but not exactly the same or alike; having a resemblance
- Geom. having the same shape, but not the same size or position
Origin of similarFrench similaire ; from Classical Latin similis: see same
- Having a resemblance in appearance or nature; alike though not identical.
- Mathematics Having corresponding angles equal and corresponding line segments proportional. Used of geometric figures: similar triangles.
Origin of similarFrench similaire, from Latin similis, like; see sem-1 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more similar, superlative most similar)
- Having traits or characteristics in common; alike, comparable.
- (mathematics) Of geometrical figures including triangles, squares, ellipses, arcs and more complex figures, having the same shape but possibly different size, rotational orientation, and position; in particular, having corresponding angles equal and corresponding line segments proportional; such that one can be had from the other using a sequence of operations of rotation, translation and scaling.
- That which is similar to, or resembles, something else, as in quality, form, etc.
- (homeopathy) A material that produces an effect that resembles the symptoms of a particular disease