- The definition of similar is two things that have characteristics that resemble each other but are not exactly alike.
An example of similar is a cream skirt and a white skirt.
- nearly but not exactly the same or alike; having a resemblance
- Geom. having the same shape, but not the same size or position
Origin: Fr similaire from Classical Latin similis: see same
- similarly adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Related in appearance or nature; alike though not identical.
- Mathematics Having corresponding angles equal and corresponding line segments proportional. Used of geometric figures: similar triangles.
Origin: French similaire, from Latin similis, like; see sem-1 in Indo-European roots.
- simˈi·lar·ly adverb