- The definition of community is all the people living in an area or a group or groups of people who share common interests.
- An example of community is a group of Buddhists who meet and chant together.
- An example of community is a suburban area that determines local laws and guidelines for business, schooling and other governmental functions.
A community of young Buddhist monks.
community definition by Webster's New World
- all the people living in a particular district, city, etc.
- the district, city, etc. where they live
- a group of people forming a smaller social unit within a larger one, and sharing common interests, work, identity, location, etc.: a college community, the labor community
- a group of nations loosely or closely associated because of common traditions or for political or economic advantage
- society in general; the public
- ownership or participation in common: community of goods
- similarity; likeness: community of tastes
- the condition of living with others
- friendly association; fellowship
- Ecol. biocenosis
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French communite ; from Classical Latin communitas, community, fellowship ; from communis, common
community definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. com·mu·ni·ties
- a. A group of people living in the same locality and under the same government.b. The district or locality in which such a group lives.
- a. A group of people having common interests: the scientific community; the international business community.b. A group viewed as forming a distinct segment of society: the gay community; the community of color.
- a. Similarity or identity: a community of interests.b. Sharing, participation, and fellowship.
- Society as a whole; the public.
- Ecology a. A group of plants and animals living and interacting with one another in a specific region under relatively similar environmental conditions.b. The region occupied by a group of interacting organisms.
Origin: Middle English communite, citizenry, from Old French, from Latin commūnitās, fellowship, from commūnis, common; see Common .
community - Legal Definition
- A group of people living together or in the same locality or who share interests or a sense of identity.
- The area, district, locality, neighborhood, or vicinity where a group of people lives.
community - Science Definition