The definition of a polity is a political or government organization, or a form of church government.
An example of a polity is a local government group.
- political or governmental organization
- a society or institution with an organized government; state; body politic
- a specific form of church government
Origin of polityMiddle French politie from Classical Latin politia: see policy
- The form of government of a nation, state, church, or organization.
- An organized society, such as a nation, having a specific form of government: “His alien philosophy found no roots in the American polity” ( New York Times )
Origin of polityObsolete French politie from Old French from Late Latin polītīa the Roman government ; see police .