The Czech Republic on a map.
The definition of a republic is a form of government where citizens have the power and choose representatives to represent them.
An example of republic is the Czech Republic.
- a state or nation in which the supreme power rests in all the citizens entitled to vote (the electorate) and is exercised by representatives elected, directly or indirectly, by them and responsible to them
- the form of government of such a state or nation
- a specified republican regime of a nation: the Fifth Republic of France
- any group whose members are regarded as having a certain equality or common aims, pursuits, etc.: the republic of letters
- a state or nation with a president as its titular head
- any of the constituent territorial and political units of the U.S.S.R., Yugoslavia, etc.
Origin of republicMiddle French république ; from Classical Latin respublica ; from res, thing, affair, interest (see real) + publica, feminine of publicus, public
- a. A political order whose head of state is not a monarch and in modern times is usually a president.b. A nation that has such a political order.
- a. A political order in which the supreme power lies in a body of citizens who are entitled to vote for officers and representatives responsible to them.b. A nation that has such a political order.
- often Republic A specific republican government of a nation: the Fourth Republic of France.
- An autonomous or partially autonomous political and territorial unit belonging to a sovereign federation.
- A group of people working as equals in the same sphere or field: the republic of letters.
Origin of republicFrench république, from Old French, from Latin r&emacron;sp&umacron;blica : r&emacron;s, thing; see r&emacron;- in Indo-European roots + p&umacron;blica, feminine of p&umacron;blicus, of the people; see public.
- A state where sovereignty rests with the people or their representatives, rather than with a monarch or emperor; a country with no monarchy.
- The United States is a republic; the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a constitutional monarchy.
- (archaic) A state, which may or may not be a monarchy, in which the executive and legislative branches of government are separate.
- One of the subdivisions constituting Russia. See oblast.
- The Republic of Udmurtia is west of the Permian Oblast.