- Re is defined as an abbreviation for regarding.
An example of re is giving a few words at the top of a business letter to say what the letter is about.
- Re represents the second syllable on an eight tone musical scale.
An example of re is the song that Maria sings to the children to teach them about the major musical scale in the movie The Sound of Music.
- 'Re is defined as are and is used in contractions.
An example of 're used as a contraction is in the word "we're," which means we are.
re definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Italian ; from Classical Latin re(sonare): see gamut
Origin: Classical Latin ablative of res, thing: see real
- Reformed Episcopal
- Right Excellent
- back, returning to a previous state: return, relapse, recall
- again, anew, over again: refurbish, recount, regelation
Origin: ; from French or L: French re-, ré- ; from Classical Latin re-, red-, back, backward
re definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Origin: Danish and Norwegian, both from Old Norse eyrir; see öre.
Origin: Middle English, from Medieval Latin; see gamut.
Origin: Latin rē, ablative of rēs, thing; see rē- in Indo-European roots.
- Again; anew: rebuild.
- Backward; back: react.
- Used as an intensive: refine.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin; see re- in Indo-European roots.
re - Medical Definition
- Again; anew: rebreathing.
- Backward; back: recurvation.