The definition of a commonwealth is an independent country, community or state within a republic, including some states of the U.S.
Pennsylvania is an example of a commonwealth.
- the people of a nation or state; body politic
- a nation or state in which there is self-government; democracy or republic
- a federation of states [the Commonwealth of Australia]: Commonwealth is also the official designation of Puerto Rico, in its special status under the U.S. government
- ☆ loosely any state of the U.S.; strictly, Ky., Mass., Pa., or Va., which were so designated in their first constitutions
- a group of people united by common interests
- Obsolete the general welfare; commonweal
Origin of commonwealthMiddle English commun welthe: see common and amp; wealth
- the government in England under the Cromwells and Parliament from 1649 to 1660
- association of independent nations (53 in September, 2004), all former components of the British Empire, united for purposes of consultation and mutual assistance: all members acknowledge the British sovereign as symbolic head of the associationin full the Commonwealth of Nations
- The people of a nation or state; the body politic.
- A nation or state governed by the people; a republic.
- Commonwealtha. Used to refer to some US states, namely, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.b. Used to refer to a self-governing, autonomous political unit voluntarily associated with the United States, namely, Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands.
- often Commonwealth The Commonwealth of Nations.
- The English state and government from the death of Charles I in 1649 to the restoration of the monarchy in 1660, including the Protectorate of 1653 to 1659.
- Archaic The public good; commonweal.
- A form of government, named for the concept that everything that is not owned by specific individuals or groups is owned collectively by everyone in the governmental unit, as opposed to a state, where the state itself owns such things.
- Approximately, a republic.
- May 19, 1649 Be it declared and enacted by this present Parliament and by the Authoritie of the same That the People of England and of all the Dominions and Territoryes thereunto belonging are and shall be and are hereby constituted, made, established, and confirmed to be a Commonwealth and free State And shall from henceforth be Governed as a Commonwealth and Free State by the supreame Authoritie of this Nation, the Representatives of the People in Parliam[ent] and by such as they shall appoint and constitute as Officers and Ministers under them for the good of the People and that without any King or House of Lords. Act of the Long Parliament.
- The Commonwealth of Nations, a loose confederation of nations based around the former British Empire.
- (Australia) Australia, the Commonwealth of Australia, often referring to its federal government.
- Mr. Martin was found guilty of defrauding the Commonwealth by making false welfare claims.
- (in Kentucky) Kentucky, the Commonwealth of Kentucky, often referring to its government.
- (in Massachusetts) Massachusetts, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, often referring to its government.
- (in Pennsylvania) Pennsylvania, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, often referring to its government.
- (in Virginia) Virginia, the Commonwealth of Virginia, often referring to its government.
commonwealth - Legal Definition
- The people of a state or country.
- A state or country where sovereignty is vested in the people.