- The definition of a commonwealth is an independent country, community or state within a republic, including some states of the U.S.
Pennsylvania is an example of a commonwealth.
commonwealth definition by Webster's New World
- the people of a nation or state; body politic
- a nation or state in which there is self-government; democracy or republic
- a federation of states [the Commonwealth of Australia]: Commonwealth is also the official designation of Puerto Rico, in its special status under the U.S. government
- ☆ loosely any state of the U.S.; strictly, Ky., Mass., Pa., or Va., which were so designated in their first constitutions
- a group of people united by common interests
- Obsolete the general welfare; commonweal
Origin: Middle English commun welthe: see common and amp; wealth
commonwealth definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The people of a nation or state; the body politic.
- A nation or state governed by the people; a republic.
- Commonwealtha. Used to refer to some U.S. states, namely, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.b. Used to refer to a self-governing, autonomous political unit voluntarily associated with the United States, namely, Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands.
- often Commonwealth The Commonwealth of Nations.
- The English state and government from the death of Charles I in 1649 to the restoration of the monarchy in 1660, including the Protectorate of 1653 to 1659.
- Archaic The public good; commonweal.
commonwealth - Cultural Definition
A government established in Britain and Ireland in 1649, after the execution of King Charles I. It was in the form of a republic, under the leadership of the parliament. Oliver Cromwell soon assumed the supreme power in the Commonwealth and was given the title Lord Protector. After Cromwell's death in 1658, the Commonwealth quickly lost power, and the Restoration of the monarchy followed in 1660.
commonwealth - Legal Definition
- The people of a state or country.
- A state or country where sovereignty is vested in the people.
commonwealth - Phrases/Idioms
- the government in England under the Cromwells and Parliament from 1649 to 1660
- association of independent nations (53 in September, 2004), all former components of the British Empire, united for purposes of consultation and mutual assistance: all members acknowledge the British sovereign as symbolic head of the associationin full the Commonwealth of Nations