- a state or nation in which the supreme power rests in all the citizens entitled to vote (the electorate) and is exercised by representatives elected, directly or indirectly, by them and responsible to them
- the form of government of such a state or nation
- a specified republican regime of a nation: the Fifth Republic of France
- any group whose members are regarded as having a certain equality or common aims, pursuits, etc.: the republic of letters
- a state or nation with a president as its titular head
- any of the constituent territorial and political units of the U.S.S.R., Yugoslavia, etc.
Origin of republicMiddle French république from Classical Latin respublica from res, thing, affair, interest (see real) + publica, feminine of publicus, public