An example of a state is California.
An example of state is when you say your name.
Foreign leaders dining in state at the White House.
Matters of state.
An example of state is when you are dirty and sad.
Church and state.
A monarch dealing with state matters; the department that handles state security.
At the stated hour.
Ice is the solid state of water.
A state of poverty.
A state of bliss.
Secretary of State.
- (computing) The stable condition of a processor during a particular clock cycle.In the fetch state, the address of the next instruction is placed on the address bus.
- (computing) The set of all parameters relevant to a computation.The state here includes a set containing all names seen so far.
- (computing) The values of all parameters at some point in a computation.A debugger can show the state of a program at any breakpoint.
A state of being; a state of emergency.
- The President's body will lie in state at the Capitol.
- Rank; condition; quality.
- Condition of prosperity or grandeur; wealthy or prosperous circumstances; social importance.
- A chair with a canopy above it, often standing on a dais; a seat of dignity; also, the canopy itself.
- In (or into) a condition of agitation or excitement.
- To be displayed formally to the public before burial.
- The United States.
Idioms and Phrasal Verbs
Origin of state
- Middle English from Old French estat from Latin status stā- in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition