- within one's knowledge, understanding, etc.; familiar
- recognized, proven, etc.: a known expert, a known theory
An example of known used as an adjective is in the phrase, "AIDS known causes," which means the causes of AIDS of which people know.
(comparative better known, superlative best known)
- past participle of know
From the Middle English, from Old English past participle cnāwen.
- I should have known you would feel this way.
- You've known her all your life.
- Rules of evidence are widely known and honored.
- Exhaustion made itself known and her head nodded.
- In Samos the little slave soon became known for his wisdom and courage.