- known; comprehended
- agreed upon
- implied but not expressed
- The definition of understood is agreed upon.
An example of understood are the conditions that had already been voted upon by the committee before voting on the major issue; the understood conditions.
- Understood is defined as to have known or realized the meaning.
An example of understood is to have grasped the concepts of the quadratic equation.
- Agreed on; assumed: the understood conditions of troop withdrawal.
- Not expressed in writing; implied: the understood provisos of a custody agreement.
(comparative more understood, superlative most understood)
- Of things which have been comprehended.
- Simple past tense and past participle of understand.
- Indicates comprehension on the part of the speaker.
- But my teacher had been with me several weeks before I understood that everything has a name.
- The girl understood and began to clear them.
- He stood at the back, and, though he had heard hardly anything, understood everything in his own way.
- "I understood," he replied with a smile.
- He didn't know if he understood what he was doing.