- An example of a settlement is when divorcing parties agree on how to split up their assets.
- An example of a settlement is when you buy a house and you and the sellers sign all the documents to officially transfer the property.
- An example of settlement is when the colonists came to America.
The definition of a settlement is an agreement that resolves a dispute, an agreement officially transferring real estate to a new party, or people making a home in a new place where no one has lived before.
- a settling or being settled (in various senses)
- a new colony, or a place newly colonized
- a small or isolated community; village
- a community established by the members of a particular religious or social group
- an agreement, arrangement, or adjustment
- the conveyance or disposition of property for the benefit of a person or persons
- the property thus conveyed
- an institution in a depressed and congested neighborhood offering social services and educational and recreational activitiesalso settlement house
- The act or process of settling: the settlement of sediment.
- a. The settling or establishment of a person or a group of people, as in a new region or in a business.b. A newly colonized region.
- A small community.
- a. An arrangement or agreement reached, as in business proceedings or negotiating a dispute: a wage settlement; a peace settlement.b. The resolution of a lawsuit or dispute by settling.c. The process of reaching such an arrangement, agreement, or resolution.
- Law a. The legal determination of title to property.b. The process of making the determinations and distributions associated with a trust.
- A center providing community services in an underprivileged area. Also called settlement house.
- The state of being settled.
- A colony that is newly established; a place or region newly settled.
- A community of people living together, such as a hamlet, village, town, or city.
- (architecture) The gradual sinking of a building. Fractures or dislocations caused by settlement.
- (finance) The delivery of goods by the seller and payment for them by the buyer, under a previously agreed trade or transaction or contract entered into.
- (law) A disposition of property, or the act of granting it.
- (law) A settled place of abode; residence; a right growing out of legal residence.
- (law) A resolution of a dispute.
settle +"Ž -ment
settlement - Investment & Finance Definition
The final and unconditional payment for a trading transaction.
settlement - Legal Definition
An agreement achieved between the adversaries before judgment in a trial, or before the trial begins, thereby obviating the need for it; completed payment of a debt or contractual obligation; a closing on a house; the completion by the executor of an estate of its distribution.