- The definition of a settlement is an agreement that resolves a dispute, an agreement officially transferring real estate to a new party, or people making a home in a new place where no one has lived before.
- An example of a settlement is when divorcing parties agree on how to split up their assets.
- An example of a settlement is when you buy a house and you and the sellers sign all the documents to officially transfer the property.
- An example of settlement is when the colonists came to America.
settlement definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a settling or being settled (in various senses)
- a new colony, or a place newly colonized
- a small or isolated community; village
- a community established by the members of a particular religious or social group
- an agreement, arrangement, or adjustment
- the conveyance or disposition of property for the benefit of a person or persons
- the property thus conveyed
- an institution in a depressed and congested neighborhood offering social services and educational and recreational activitiesalso settlement house
settlement definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The act or process of settling.
- a. Establishment, as of a person in a business or of people in a new region.b. A newly colonized region.
- A small community.
- An arrangement, adjustment, or other understanding reached, as in financial or business proceedings: a divorce settlement.
- Law a. Transfer of property to provide for the future needs of a person.b. Property thus transferred.
- A center providing community services in an underprivileged area. Also called settlement house.
settlement - Business Definition
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Business Terms Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
settlement - Investment & Finance Definition
The final and unconditional payment for a trading transaction.
Wall Street Words: An A to Z Guide to Investment Terms for Today's Investor by David L. Scott. Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
settlement - Legal Definition
An agreement achieved between the adversaries before judgment in a trial, or before the trial begins, thereby obviating the need for it; completed payment of a debt or contractual obligation; a closing on a house; the completion by the executor of an estate of its distribution.