A typical French eating establishment.
- The definition of an establishment is something stable, settled or set up.
- An example of an establishment is a restaurant.
- An example of an establishment is the tradition of fireworks on 4th of July.
- an establishing or being established
- a thing established, as a business, military organization, household, etc.
- the social, economic, and political leaders as of a nation, regarded as holding the chief measure of power and influence
- the ruling inner circle or dominant group of any field of endeavor, organization, institution, etc.
- established church
- a. The act of establishing.b. The condition or fact of being established.
- Something established, as:a. An arranged order or system, especially a legal code.b. A permanent civil, political, or military organization.c. An established church.d. A place of residence or business with its possessions and staff.e. A public or private institution, such as a hospital or school.
- often Establishment An established social order, as:a. A group of people holding most of the power and influence in a government or society. Often used with the.b. A controlling group in a given field of activity. Often used with the.
- The act of establishing; a ratifying or ordaining; settlement; confirmation.
- Since their establishment of the company in 1984, they have grown into a global business.
- The state of being established, founded, etc.; fixed state.
- The firm celebrated twenty years since their establishment by updating their look.
- That which is established; as a form of government, a permanent organization, business or force, or the place where one is permanently fixed for residence.
- Pedro's is a fine establishment serving a variety of delicious food.
- Exposing the shabby parts of the establishment.
- (slang) The establishment: the ruling class or authority group in a society; especially, an entrenched authority dedicated to preserving the status quo. Sometimes capitalized: the Establishment.
- It's often necessary to question the establishment to get things done.
Old French establissement, (Modern French établissement) from the verb establir.