- The definition of an establishment is something stable, settled or set up.
- An example of an establishment is a restaurant.
- An example of an establishment is the tradition of fireworks on 4th of July.
A typical French eating establishment.
establishment definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- an establishing or being established
- a thing established, as a business, military organization, household, etc.
establishment definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- a. The act of establishing.b. The condition or fact of being established.
- Something established, as:a. An arranged order or system, especially a legal code.b. A permanent civil, political, or military organization.c. An established church.d. A place of residence or business with its possessions and staff.e. A public or private institution, such as a hospital or school.
- often Establishment An established social order, as:a. A group of people holding most of the power and influence in a government or society. Often used with the.b. A controlling group in a given field of activity. Often used with the.
establishment - Phrases/Idioms
- the social, economic, and political leaders as of a nation, regarded as holding the chief measure of power and influence
- the ruling inner circle or dominant group of any field of endeavor, organization, institution, etc.
- established church