Governance is defined as the decisions and actions of the people who run a school, nation, city or business.
An example of governance is the mayor's decision to increase the police force in response to burglaries.
the action, manner, function, or power of government
Origin of governanceMiddle English ; from Old French gouvernance ; from Medieval Latin gubernantia ; from present participle of Classical Latin gubernare: see govern
The action, manner, or power of governing: principles of good governance.
- The process, or the power, of governing; government or administration.
- The specific system by which a political system is ruled.
- The group of people who make up an administrative body.
- The state of being governed.
- (management) Accountability for consistent, cohesive policies, processes and decision rights.
From Old French gouvernance.