- The definition of a payment is all or part of what is owed by someone.
- An example of a payment is the check you write to pay your phone bill.
- An example of a payment is using your credit card to pay $100 of what you owe on a bill.
payment definition by Webster's New World
- a paying or being paid
- something that is paid
- penalty or reward
payment definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act of paying or the state of being paid.
- An amount paid: received a large payment.
- One's due, reward, or punishment; requital.
payment - Business Definition
payment - Investment & Finance Definition
In trading terms, an instruction to transfer funds or a financial asset to pay for a transaction. In the case of transferring money to pay for stock or another investment, until the transaction settles, it is not yet final.Webster's New World Finance and Investment Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Indianapolis, Indiana. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
payment - Legal Definition