- The definition of a region is a specific area.
- The area in your body that is close to your stomach is an example of your stomach region.
- The state of California is an example of a state that would be described as being in the Western region of the United States.
region definition by Webster's New World
- a large and indefinite part of the surface of the earth; district
- a division of the world characterized by a specific kind of plant or animal life
- an area; place; space
- a particular part of the world or universe
- an administrative division of a country, as in Italy
- a sphere or realm, as of art or science
- a division or part of an organism, often called after its main part or organ: the abdominal region
- any of the levels used to describe the atmosphere or ocean
Origin: Middle English regioun ; from Anglo-French regiun ; from Old French region ; from Classical Latin regio ; from regere, to rule: see right
region definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A large, usually continuous segment of a surface or space; area.
- A large, indefinite portion of the earth's surface.
- A specified district or territory.
- An area of interest or activity; a sphere.
- Ecology A part of the earth characterized by distinctive animal or plant life.
- An area of the body having natural or arbitrarily assigned boundaries: the abdominal region.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin regiō, regiōn-, from regere, to rule; see reg- in Indo-European roots.
region - Medical Definition
- An area of the body having natural or arbitrary boundaries.
- A portion of the body having a special nervous or vascular supply.
- A part of an organ with a special function.