- The area in your body that is close to your stomach is an example of your stomach region.
- The state of California is an example of a state that would be described as being in the Western region of the United States.
The definition of a region is a specific area.
- a large and indefinite part of the surface of the earth; district
- a division of the world characterized by a specific kind of plant or animal life
- an area; place; space
- a particular part of the world or universe
- an administrative division of a country, as in Italy
- a sphere or realm, as of art or science
- a division or part of an organism, often called after its main part or organ: the abdominal region
- any of the levels used to describe the atmosphere or ocean
Origin of regionMiddle English regioun ; from Anglo-French regiun ; from Old French region ; from Classical Latin regio ; from regere, to rule: see right
- a. A large, usually continuous segment of a surface or space: the upper regions of the atmosphere.b. A portion of the earth's surface distinguished from others by some characteristic: the coastal region; the region of storm damage.c. A bioregion.d. A political district or unit, often with its adjacent lands: the Osaka region.
- An area of the body having natural or arbitrarily assigned boundaries: the abdominal region.
- An area of interest or activity; a sphere: the region of gender studies.
- An approximate degree or amount: costs in the region of one billion dollars.
Origin of regionMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin regi&omacron;, regi&omacron;n-, from regere, to rule; see reg- in Indo-European roots.
- Any considerable and connected part of a space or surface; specifically, a tract of land or sea of considerable but indefinite extent; a country; a district; in a broad sense, a place without special reference to location or extent but viewed as an entity for geographical, social or cultural reasons.
- the equatorial regions
- the temperate regions
- the polar regions
- the upper regions of the atmosphere
- An administrative subdivision of a city, a territory, a country or the European Union.
- (historical) Such a division of the city of Rome and of the territory about Rome, of which the number varied at different times; a district, quarter, or ward.
- (figuratively) The inhabitants of a region or district of a country.
- (anatomy) A place in or a part of the body in any way indicated.
- the abdominal regions