- Neighborhood is defined as a group of houses or buildings that are together in an area or that are grouped together as a unit.
All of the houses in your subdivision are an example of your neighborhood.
Aerial view of a modern neighborhood.
neighborhood definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Archaic friendly relations, as of neighbors; neighborliness
- the state or quality of being neighbors
- a community, district, or area, esp. with regard to some characteristic or point of reference: an old neighborhood
- the people living near one another; community: the whole neighborhood pitched in and helped during the flood
- Math. the set of all points which lie within a stated distance of a given point
neighborhood definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A district or area with distinctive characteristics: a neighborhood of fine homes; an ethnic neighborhood.
- The people who live near one another or in a particular district or area: The noise upset the entire neighborhood.
- The surrounding area; vicinity: happened to be in the neighborhood.
- Informal Approximate amount or range: in the neighborhood of five million dollars.
- Friendliness appropriate to a neighbor: a feeling of neighborhood.
- Mathematics The set of points surrounding a specified point, each of which is within a certain, usually small distance from the specified point.
neighborhood - Phrases/Idioms
in the neighborhood ofâ Informal
- near; close to (a place)
- about; approximately (the age, amount, etc. specified)