- Neighborhood is defined as a group of houses or buildings that are together in an area or that are grouped together as a unit.
All of the houses in your subdivision are an example of your neighborhood.
Aerial view of a modern neighborhood.
- Archaic friendly relations, as of neighbors; neighborliness
- the state or quality of being neighbors
- a community, district, or area, esp. with regard to some characteristic or point of reference: an old neighborhood
- the people living near one another; community: the whole neighborhood pitched in and helped during the flood
- Math. the set of all points which lie within a stated distance of a given point
in the neighborhood of☆ Informal
- near; close to (a place)
- about; approximately (the age, amount, etc. specified)
- A district or area with distinctive characteristics: a neighborhood of fine homes; an ethnic neighborhood.
- The people who live near one another or in a particular district or area: The noise upset the entire neighborhood.
- The surrounding area; vicinity: happened to be in the neighborhood.
- Informal Approximate amount or range: in the neighborhood of five million dollars.
- Friendliness appropriate to a neighbor: a feeling of neighborhood.
- Mathematics The set of points surrounding a specified point, each of which is within a certain, usually small distance from the specified point.
(countable and uncountable, plural neighborhoods)
- 1835, Edward Bulwer-Lytton, Rienzi, the Last of the Roman Tribunes:
- Then the prison and the palace were in awful neighbourhood.
- Close proximity, nearby area; particularly, close proximity to one's home.
- He lives in my neighborhood.
- The inhabitants of a residential area.
- The fire alarmed the neighborhood.
- A formal or informal division of a municipality or region.
- We have just moved to a pleasant neighborhood.
- An approximate amount.
- He must be making in the neighborhood of $200,000 per year.
- (uncountable) The quality of physical proximity.
- The slums and the palace were in awful neighborhood.
- (topology) An open set which contains the point in question.
- (topology) The infinitesimal open set of all points that may be reached directly from a given point; the set of all the vertices adjacent to a given vertex.
- (topology) A set containing an open set which contains point in question.
From neighbor +â€Ž -hood.