- Vicinity is the area and the things that are nearby.
An example ofvicinity is the four-block range surrounding a home, and all the stores and things within that four-block range.
vicinity definition by Webster's New World
- the state of being near or close by; nearness; proximity: two theaters in close vicinity
- the region or area surrounding a particular place; neighborhood
Origin: Classical Latin vicinitas ; from vicinus, near ; from vicus, group of houses, village: see eco-
vicinity definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. vi·cin·i·ties
- The state of being near in space or relationship; proximity: two restaurants in close vicinity.
- A nearby, surrounding, or adjoining region; a neighborhood.
- An approximate degree or amount: houses priced in the vicinity of $200,000.
Origin: Latin vīcīnitās, from vīcīnus, neighboring, from vīcus, neighborhood; see weik-1 in Indo-European roots.
vicinity - Phrases/Idioms
in the vicinity of
- near; close to (a place)
- about; approximately (the amount, etc. specified)