- neighboring; nearby
- Mineralogy designating faces on a crystal that approximate or take the place of fundamental planes
Origin of vicinalClassical Latin vicinalis from vicinus: see vicinity
- Of, belonging to, or restricted to a limited area or neighborhood; local.
- Relating to or being a local road, especially one in ancient Britain.
- Mineralogy Approximating, resembling, or taking the place of a fundamental crystalline form or face.
- Chemistry Of or relating to the consecutive positions on a ring or chain of carbon atoms.
Origin of vicinalLatin vīcīnālis from vīcīnus neighboring ; see vicinity.
- Of or pertaining to a neighborhood; neighboring.
- (chemistry) Describing identical atoms or groups attached to nearby (especially adjacent) atoms in a molecule.
- (mineralogy) Describing subordinate planes on a crystal, which are very near to the fundamental planes in angles, and sometimes take their place.
From Latin vÄ«cÄ«nÄlis.