- the districts surrounding a town or city; suburbs or outskirts
- surrounding area; vicinity
Origin of environsMiddle English enviroun (sing.) from Old French environ, origin, originally adv., around from en-, en- + viron, a circuit from virer, to turn: see veer
- A surrounding area, especially of a city.
- Surroundings; environment.
Origin of environsFrench from Old French pl. of environ circuit from environ round about ; see environ .
- third-person singular simple present indicative form of environ