- the districts surrounding a town or city; suburbs or outskirts
- surrounding area; vicinity
Origin of environsMiddle English enviroun (sing.) ; from Old French environ, origin, originally adv., around ; from en-, en- + viron, a circuit ; from virer, to turn: see veer
- A surrounding area, especially of a city.
- Surroundings; environment.
Origin of environsFrench, from Old French, pl. of environ, circuit, from environ, round about; see environ.
- third-person singular simple present indicative form of environ