- districts remote from the center or midst, as of a city; outlying regions: sometimes, esp. formerly, used in sing.: much construction throughout the outskirts of the city
- the outer edge, border, or margin: a shack at the outskirts of town
Outskirts is defined as the edge of town or a remote area.
An example of outskirts is a house located thirty minutes from town, down a dirt road.
- The plural is used much more often than the singular
- The tomb of Jahangir is situated in the _gardens of Shandera on the outskirts of Lahore.
- On the outskirts there is a hot chalybeate spring.
- On the western outskirts lies the town of Ringwood.
- The church of St Mary the Virgin rises on an eminence on the outskirts of the town.
- In the upland district; that is to say, the outskirts of the city from north to west.