- The definition of a periphery is a boundary of an area, or the surrounding space of an area.
An example of a periphery is a patio that goes around a pool.
periphery definition by Webster's New World
- a boundary line, esp. that of a rounded figure; perimeter
- an outside surface, esp. that of a rounded object or body
- surrounding space or area; outer parts; environs or outskirts
- Anat. the area surrounding a nerve ending
Origin: Middle French peripherie ; from Late Latin peripheria ; from Classical Greek periphereia ; from peripherēs, moving around ; from peri-, around plush pherein, to bear
periphery definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. pe·riph·er·ies
- A line that forms the boundary of an area; a perimeter. See Synonyms at circumference.
- The surface of a solid.
- a. The outermost part or region within a precise boundary.b. A zone constituting an imprecise boundary.
Origin: Middle English periferie, from Medieval Latin periferia, from Late Latin peripherīa, from Greek periphereia, from peripherēs, carrying around : peri-, peri- + pherein, to carry; see bher-1 in Indo-European roots.
periphery - Medical Definition
- The outermost part or region within a precise boundary; the part away from center.
- The outer surface of a solid.