- The definition of an ambit is the area around something that acts as a marker or sign of the border or outside limit.
An example of an ambit is a fence around a yard.
- a circuit or circumference
- the limits or scope; bounds
Origin of ambitClassical Latin ambitus, a going about, revolution ; from past participle of ambire: see ambient
- Sphere or scope, as of influence. See Synonyms at range.
- Archaic An external boundary; a circuit.
Origin of ambitLatin ambitus, from past participle of ambīre, to go around; see ambient.