- The definition of ambition is motivation or a strong urge to achieve something.
An example of someone who has ambition is an ice skater who practices for hours each day in hopes of competing in the Olympics.
ambition definition by Webster's New World
- a strong desire to gain a particular objective; specif., the drive to succeed, or to gain fame, power, wealth, etc.
- the objective strongly desired
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin ambitio, a going around (to solicit votes) ; from past participle of ambire: see ambient
ambition definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. An eager or strong desire to achieve something, such as fame or power.b. The object or goal desired: Her ambition is the presidency.
- Desire for exertion or activity; energy: had no ambition to go dancing.
Origin: Middle English ambicioun, excessive desire for honor, power, or wealth, from Old French ambition, from Latin ambitiō, ambitiōn-, from ambitus, past participle of ambīre, to go around (for votes); see ambient.