- The definition of a suburb is an area of homes outside of a city.
An example of a suburb is a series of gated communities outside of a large city.
- a district, esp. a residential district, on or near the outskirts of a city and often a separately incorporated city or town
- a region made up of such districts: with the
Origin of suburbMiddle English ; from Classical Latin suburbium ; from sub-, under, near + urbs (gen. urbis), town
- A usually residential area or community outlying a city.
- suburbs The usually residential region around a major city; the environs.
Origin of suburbMiddle English suburbe, from Old French, from Latin suburbium : sub-, sub- + urbs, urb-, city.