The word woman is a noun.
- An example of noun is a woman.
- An example of noun is the city Paris.
- An example of noun is a table.
- An example of noun is the act of walking.
- An example of noun is the word perfection.
The definition of a noun is a part of speech that names a person, place, thing, action or quality.
Gram. any of a class of words naming or denoting a person, thing, place, action, quality, etc. (Ex.: woman, water, New York, talking, beauty)
Origin of nounMiddle English nowne from Old French noun, nom from Classical Latin nomen, name
- The part of speech that is used to name a person, place, thing, quality, or action and can function as the subject or object of a verb, the object of a preposition, or an appositive.
- Any of the words belonging to this part of speech, such as neighbor, window, happiness, or negotiation.
Origin of nounMiddle English name, noun from Anglo-Norman from Latin nōmen ( translation of Greek onoma name, noun ); see nō-men- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present nouns, present participle nouning, simple past and past participle nouned)
- To convert a word to a noun.