- The definition of a noun is a part of speech that names a person, place, thing, action or quality.
- An example of noun is a woman.
- An example of noun is the city Paris.
- An example of noun is a table.
- An example of noun is the act of walking.
- An example of noun is the word perfection.
The word woman is a noun.
noun definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Middle English nowne ; from Old French noun, nom ; from Classical Latin nomen, name
noun definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun Abbr. n.
- The part of speech that is used to name a person, place, thing, quality, or action and can function as the subject or object of a verb, the object of a preposition, or an appositive.
- Any of the words belonging to this part of speech, such as neighbor, window, happiness, or negotiation.
Origin: Middle English, name, noun, from Anglo-Norman, from Latin nōmen (translation of Greek onoma, name, noun); see nō̆-men- in Indo-European roots.