- Non is defined as no.
An example of non used as an interjection is in the sentences, "Non! I don't want to go to the park today!" which means "No! I don't want to go to the park today!"
- Non is defined as not or no.
An example of non used as a prefix is in the phrase, "non-essential," which means not essential.
non definition by Webster's New World
- : used to give a negative or privative force, esp. to nouns, adjectives, and adverbs
- the opposite of: nonessential
- excluded (from a specified category): nonvoter, nonfiction
- refusal or failure: noncooperation
- having the superficial aspect, but not the real value, of: used to give a pejorative force, esp. to nouns: nonbook, nonevent
- having the value, but not the surface aspect or identity, of: used to indicate potential, but unacknowledged or unrecognized, qualities: noncandidate, noncampaign
Origin: ; from Classical Latin non, not ; from Old Latin noenum ; from ne-, negative particle (see no) plush oinom, one
non definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin nōn, not; see ne in Indo-European roots.