- Realm is defined as an area of land overseen by a king or queen.
An example of a realm is a kingdom in a computer game.
- The definition of a realm is an area or a domain.
- An example of a realm is the general way to speak about a subject like science.
- An example of a realm is a geographical division of the earth.
- a kingdom
- a region; sphere; area: the realm of thought
- Ecol. any of the primary biogeographic regions of the earth
Origin: Middle English reame, later realme from OFr, altered (by associated, association with reiel from source royal) from reaume from Classical Latin regimen, rule: see regimen
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A community or territory over which a sovereign rules; a kingdom.
- A field, sphere, or province: the realm of science. See Synonyms at field.
Origin: Middle English realme, from Old French, alteration (influenced by Old French reial, royal) of Latin regimen, government, from regere, to rule; see reg- in Indo-European roots.