- The definition of a realm is an area or a domain.
- An example of a realm is the general way to speak about a subject like science.
- An example of a realm is a geographical division of the earth.
- Realm is defined as an area of land overseen by a king or queen.
An example of a realm is a kingdom in a computer game.
- a kingdom
- a region; sphere; area: the realm of thought
- Ecol. any of the primary biogeographic regions of the earth
Origin of realmMiddle English reame, later realme ; from Old French altered (by associated, association with reiel from source royal) ; from reaume ; from Classical Latin regimen, rule: see regimen
- A community or territory over which a sovereign rules; a kingdom.
- An area or sphere, as of knowledge or activity: the realm of science. See Synonyms at field.
Origin of realmMiddle English realme, from Old French, alteration (influenced by Old French reial, royal) of Latin regimen, government, from regere, to rule; see reg- in Indo-European roots.
- lamer, maerl, Maler, marle