- The definition of a dynasty is a succession of powerful leaders all from the same family.
When a powerful family in China hands down control of the country from father to son, their rule is an example of a dynasty.
- a succession of rulers who are members of the same family
- the period during which a certain family reigns
Origin of dynastyMiddle English dinastie ; from Medieval Latin dynastia ; from Classical Greek dynasteia, lordship, rule ; from dynastēs: see dynast
- A succession of rulers from the same family or line.
- A family or group that maintains power for several generations: a political dynasty controlling the state.
Origin of dynastyMiddle English dynastie, from Old French, from Late Latin dynastīa, lordship, from Greek dunasteia, from dunastēs, lord; see dynast.
- A series of rulers or dynasts from one family.
dynasty - Computer Definition
An application development system for enterprise client/server environments from Dynasty Technologies, Inc., Houston, TX (www.dynasty.com). Introduced in 1993, it is a repository-driven system that supports Windows, Mac and Motif clients and NT, OS/2 and major Unix servers and databases. It provides partitioning for creating three-tier applications. DYNASTY generates C and SQL code.